Nic Screws is a stylist, writer & fashion consultant.
Her 14-year-long career in the magazine industry started in the editorial department at Men’s Health, where her unintentional foray into fashion also began. From there, Nic went on to help launch Rodale’s high-end men’s lifestyle magazine Best Life. Jobs at Lucky & Travel + Leisure followed, books & experiences she credits with giving her a fashion education.
In the spring of 2008 she joined Esquire as fashion market editor, a role that involved covering the menswear market, representing the brand at the seasonal fashion collections & helping to conceptualize the monthly style editorial content. She rose to the position of senior fashion market editor, spending 4 years producing and styling the monthly front-of-book style section. Beyond print, Nic also contributed greatly to Esquire’s growing online presence—lending her female perspective on men’s fashion in online features such as shopping & styling guides.
She left the venerable brand after 6.5 years to accept the position as the first-ever style director at Bloomberg Media, a position she held from August 2014 to March 2016. While there, she produced, styled & wrote features starring various talent from actor Rami Malek, members of the NHL, NBA superstar Russell Westbrook, celebrity chefs Eric Ripert and Daniel Boulud and Hollywood director Zack Snyder--among others. She also shaped all the brand's fashion-centric content and wrote regularly for the web, providing Bloomberg's sole style voice and expertise.
Nic’s long tenure at Esquire, and directorship at Bloomberg, made her a sought after menswear expert. She has been quoted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, USA Today, ABC Radio, the NFL Network and the Daily News, among others.
In addition to her editorial roles, Nic regularly styles & consults for clients such as P&G Prestige, Dockers, Southern Tide, J Brand, and members of the NFL and NHL, all who call upon her editorial eye to help elevate their brand & image. Among the list of professional athletes she has styled: Russell Westbrook, Tom Brady, Henrik Lundqvist, Dwayne Wade, Clay Matthews and Victor Cruz. Additionally, as a journalist, she has interviewed athletes such as Von Miller, J.J. Watt, Chris Paul, Julian Edelman, David Wright, Bubba Watson and Amar’e Stoudemire. She also contributes as a style correspondent for NHL.com.
Nic is a graduate of the University of Florida where she earned a bachelor of science degree in magazine journalism in 2003. In the spring of 2013, she returned to her alma mater (albeit remotely) as an adjunct professor, teaching a course entitled fashion writing & journalism.
She currently divides her time between New York City and the Tampa Bay-area, or wherever her work takes her.
- Men's Underwear: What Women Think (AskMen.com, Feb. 2017)
- Does a Woman Like Your Outfit? She May Be Already Telling You (Style Girlfriend, June 2016)
- NHL's List of Best Dressed? It's Short and Swedes (USA Today, Oct. 2015)
- Babes in Boys' Clothes (Valet, Feb. 2015)
- U.S. Olympic Outfits Worthy of Stares, if Not Medals (The New York Times, Jan. 2014)
- Best Groomsman Gifts (The Black Tux, Aug. 2014)
- This Week's Guest Stylist: Nic Screws (Keep, 2014)
- From Red Zone to Red Carpet (The New York Times, April 2013)
- The Style Influencers You Should Follow on Instagram (Complex, May 2013)
- My Blog City: Nic Screws (Sous Style, June 2013)
- Summer is Seersucker's Shining Moment (CNN, Aug. 2013)
- Brooklyn Favorites: Nic Screws, Esquire Fashion Editor (Strolby, Dec. 2013)
- Work Wear: Office Style at Esquire (The Wall Street Journal, Aug. 2012)
- NY Rangers Dress Up Like a Bunch of Beckhams for Esquire (New York Daily News, Oct. 2012)
- Mark Sanchez and Tom Brady: Peers in Style, Not in Results (The New York Times, Jan. 2011)
- 10 Fall Editor-Approved Watches (Refinery 29, Aug. 2011)
- The Best-Dressed Athletes (Forbes, Dec. 2010)